How many times have you looked through your beauty or makeup cabinet and found items that you're still holding on to that may have passed their shelf life? That perfect lipstick or eyeshadow that you know you should have ditched but you just can't let go of? Well I was definitely guilty. I held on to products in the hope that I would use them at a later date, but never did. As a result, they expired without my knowledge.
I thought I would write a post about the shelf life of some of the main "go to" makeup and beauty items. Some of them I guess are common sense. You can look at the product and if it has changed in appearance, texture or smell, then it's obvious that it should be thrown out. I have collated the information below from leading industry experts.
1. Mascara ~ 2 - 3 months. Each time it's taken out, applied and put back, bacteria can be transferred.
2. Eyeshadow / Blush / Powder ~ 1- 3 years (I did read that eyeshaows should be changed every 3 months if they are used on a daily basis).
3. Liquid Foundation ~ 6 - 12 months
4. Liquid Concealer ~ 1 year
5. Stick Concealer ~ Up to 2 years
6. Cream Blush ~ Under 1 year
7. Liquid Eyeliner ~ 3-4 months
8. Lipstick / Lip gloss ~ 1 year
9. Skin care products in a jar ~ 6 - 10 months. If in a pump container, then 1 - 3 years.
10. Nail Polish ~ 1 year
11. Eau de parfum ~ Up to 3 years
12. Pencil (Eye & Lip) ~ About 1 year
13. Bath Oil ~ 1 year
14. Shampoo / Shower Gel ~ Up to 3 years
15. Hairstyling products ~ 3 - 5 years as they contain alcohol which helps to preserve them.
As mentioned above, it is easy to determine whether a product has expired if there are visible changes. However if there aren't any, I hope the guidelines above may help. If your product hasn't been opened, you can generally keep it for up to 3 years.
Is there anything that surprises you?
Thanks for reading!!